Mixed in with my memories of Ontario, distant cousins, and cemeteries, are scenes from the Count of Monte Cristo. I undertook to read the unabridged version (1462 pages), and took it with me on my trip, thinking that I could make some headway on the plane. Jef must've gotten bored sitting next to me, because he jumped in at about page 800 (the cheater), and we spent the rest of the trip reading out loud to each other. So when I think of Ontario, I can't help remembering the guilty secrets of M. de Villefort and Madame Danglars, the desperate situation of Valentine, the despair of Maximillian, and the heartbreak of Haydee. Sounds like a soap opera, I know, and it kind of is, but yesterday we finally finished! I can't even remember the last time it took me over a month to finish a book I was reading every day. (Except the Book of Mormon, of course. But that's another story.)
Odd to have those memories mingled like that, but I seriously couldn't report my trip without mentioning all the suspense I went through all along the way. Kind of sad to have it over now.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Monte Cristo in Canada
Posted by
Stefanie
at
2:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
That is one of my all-time favorite books! I love that you just read it. The movie is good as a stand-alone, but doesn't compare to the book. I've loved reading about your adventures in family history and am so excited for everything you found up there. Long-lost cousins--how exciting!
Post a Comment