I've been encouraging my children to be positive about their chores lately so I thought I'd follow my own advice.
Here are the top ten reasons why it's a good thing that my dryer is dead and I have to hang all our laundry on a makeshift clothesline.
1. It keeps me humble.
2. I get lots of fresh air. (And all the sneezing and itchy eyes that come from all that fresh air? That just helps with the humility thing.)
3. Hanging out all of our socks one by one gives me time to reflect.
4. I talk to my neighbors more. (Like when they come out and say, "You're still doing laundry? At this time of night?)
5. The sun really does help to make whites whiter. (Unless, of course, children with dirty hands are playing in the yard. Then they're.... not whiter.)
6. I'm saving money on my power bill. (Actually, it was higher this month. But I still have hope for next month's.)
7. Having sheets hanging on the line really does create a sweet homey kind of picture.
8. I am much more appreciative of a nice sunny day. (It's a real bummer if you need something washed on a rainy day.)
9. I am much more appreciative of my swamp cooler. (After being out in the hot sun for hours hanging up one hundred little tiny outfits.)
10. I am much more appreciative of rainy days. (Sorry, I can't do laundry today. It's raining!)
Surprise!
11 years ago


4 comments:
Hi. It's Sister (Joyce) Smith. I hope you don't mind I read your blog. I like to laugh and it's pretty humorous. you could make money doing that. Reminds me of some of my adventures as a young mother!
So when I was growing up, we never used a dryer. Once we got old enough, guess who hung up and took down the laundry! I have many memories of doing it, and while I was happy once we went to dryers, I have to admit that when the clothes line came down, it was a bit of a sad day. So some day you might feel that way. This post kind of makes me sound old huh? YIKES!
My mom STILL refuses to use the dryer for anything other than socks/undies. (The dryer is older than I am, if that gives you any idea about how often it isn't used).
Prior to the dryer, we hung socks too. only mom made us mate them before we hung them - the horror!
Oh wait until winter. It's lots of fun when the stuff freezes when you're hanging it out ... then you can't ever tell if they are dry or just cold. :)
We have a clothes line, too! I actually chose to get it to be "environmentally responsible" and in a desperate attempt to save money when everything power-related is getting so pricey. It sure makes laundry time more focused for me to try not to be out when it's just too darn hot!
Post a Comment