Friday, September 12, 2008

What in the World is That?


Jef went out to pick some corn the other day, and came back in with this thing. It used to be a cob of corn. But at some point, some kind of grey, soft rubbery stuff took over. It was kind of creepy. After everyone looked at it, poked it, and we took a picture, I made Jef take it back outside. It seemed a little too reminiscent of aliens to me. Luckily it's been the only one.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Is there such thing as veggie cancer? Because that's what I would guess veggie cancer (if there was such a thing) would look like. Creepy!

Kate Forsythe said...

Um I believe that's corn smut. It's a pretty common fungus that attacks corn. Don't eat it. :) Check the pictures and see if you agree with me. http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/corn%20smut/smut.htm
I thought it looked familiar, I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of that from my plant classes. But don't worry the plant isn't as susceptible after the ear is formed, so you should be okay.