Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hard Workin' Woman

I thought I'd explain what I've been up to lately, since it obviously hasn't been blogging. This last summer it took until June to get our garden planted, so I decided this year to start in November.
We tilled in lots of leaves, some fertilizer, and some sulfur, and then made it all into raised beds and planted Winter Rye.
Funny how that all fits into one simple sentence, but actually represents hours and hours of work. In the Spring we'll turn the Rye over a couple of weeks before planting, and it will supposedly help our heavy clay soil to lighten up a little.
I also had Jef build me a compost bin, and I filled one side of it. I fit five big bags of leaves, a big pile of lawn clippings, and two rows of cornstalks (along with a whole bunch of dirt), into about a square yard of space. I don't know how that's possible, I just know that it was a whole lot of work. And I got a nice blister to prove it. :)

1 comments:

Chelsi said...

Good job! I am so impressed, as always. I am still trying to work up the gumption to clear out the weeds from one of my garden spaces. Maybe this Saturday...