So, as most of you know, I was recently released from the Young Womens, where I had been serving for almost five years. It was heartbreaking - much harder than I expected it to be. I've been anxious for another calling to try and fill in part of the giant hole that Young Womens left behind. So I was excited when I got a text from the Bishop on Tuesday asking me to come in on Sunday at 10:30am. (Church starts at 11:00, and yes, my Bishop texts.) But that meant that I had almost five whole days to think about it, worry about it, stew about it...
So I was glad when Sunday morning finally arrived. But at 9:30 Sunday morning, Jef got a phone call. "Could you come and meet with the Bishop at 10:00 this morning?" Now, I know life isn't fair, but that was going a bit too far. I had been waiting and waiting for Sunday morning to finally roll around, and now Jef had a 30 minute wait before he nipped in half an hour ahead of me? So rude!
When Jef got home from his interview, he revealed that he had been called as Webelos Den Leader. Now, I don't know how it is in your ward, but in my ward they usually call couples to that calling. So had they made me wait five days just to call me as Jef's assistant half an hour after they called him? Surely they wouldn't do that, would they?
I finally made it in to meet with the 1st Counselor (not the Bishop, so why couldn't I have met with him at ten? or nine-thirty? Or anytime before Jef? Not that I'm complaining, of course), and he asked me to serve as ..... (drum roll, please)
A Gospel Doctrine Teacher!
Now, I've never taught adults before (unless you count in my college singles ward, but those weren't really adults, were they?) So I'm a little nervous. Any suggestions, ideas, or tips you have would be appreciated. But surely it won't be nearly as nerve-wracking to actually serve in the calling as it was waiting to receive it!
Surprise!
11 years ago

3 comments:
Men! I feel your pain. I have decided men just don't think about things the way we do. They surely wouldn't be so inconsiderate if they thought through things the way they should. That kind of stuff happens to me all the time. Except this last time when I was at church serving in my calling and they came and asked if I could meet with the Bishop right after church. I only had to wait 1/2 hour. Not bad- still I was nervous, but had only been in YW for 7 months so thought it would be some little extra thing. Too bad it wasn't.
Anyway, what I want to know is who was more excited - you or Jef?
And all I can say is good luck. I taught RS in 2nd ward and loved it. All the older ladies thought I was so adorable. But I don't think they really thought I could teach them anything they didn't already know. Funny how we get like that. I have to admit though, sometimes when I see cute young girls I think the same thing - they can't teach me anything I don't already know. I am sure you will not have that problem. Just be your usual charming self. :)
You will do a great job! That calling would have me shakin in my boots!
First of all, I love the igloo. Very fun!
And, on to your new calling... Congratulations! I got to do that for almost two years in this ward. The first day I taught, I really didn't know if I was going to throw up or just cry because I was so scared (fortunately, I did neither). I did end up loving that calling! I never studied the scriptures better than when I was studying to teach. And, I really felt the spirit while I was preparing to teach. It's amazing what being set apart does for helping us know what to say and when to say it.
One tip-I would usually read through the lesson quickly at the beginning to get a good overview; then, read it again while making notes and searching out the scriptures that apply to the sections; and read it once more before Sunday school to refresh my mind and make any last touches. It's what they train seminary teachers to do, and it worked well for me.
I know you'll be great! You have an excellent gospel foundation and a great testimony. You have a lot to share with your ward, and they will have a lot to share with you. Enjoy it as much as you can!
Post a Comment