Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Where Have All the Good Books Gone?

So I was looking at my little bookshelf, here, that shows the last 20 books I've read.
There is not a single five-star book among them.
It feels like forever since I've read a solid five-star book.
So I'm wondering if maybe I'm just getting a little hardened and harder to please. I do read a lot of books, after all.
But really it just feels like I've already read all the fantastic books that are out there, and there's none left. They're all so mediocre lately. Good books, yes. Interesting, entertaining, worth reading. Even some that I would have given five stars the first time, but only got four the second time around. (This is why I don't usually re-read books. But I was desperate!) I even took a whole week off, just to see if it was a case of overdose. (An entire week of only scriptures, church magazines, and cereal boxes!) But it didn't help because the next book I read was fun, interesting, fairly well-written, but just.... Well, just not five stars. *sigh*
So I ordered myself seven new books for Mother's Day, and if one of them doesn't do it, well.
I may have to take up knitting instead.

2 comments:

The Leavitt Crew said...

Have you read "The Ladies Auxillary" by Mira Torvis?

Sara said...

Why do I have this awful fear you're ahead of me in the Great 2009 Book Count? (Never fear! I have maternity leave coming up - and I am talented enough to nurse and read, if not do much else).

Three EXCELLENT books I've read (I'd give them 5 stars) lately:

-Kite Runner
-1,000 Splendid Suns
-My Enemy's Cradle

Of course, I've read a ton of medicore books and there have even been some fluffy stuff in their too (JD Robb is a weakness I rarely admit to. Don't waste your time with Grisham's newest - it's truly medicore and the ending is worse than that).