Sunday, April 25, 2010

Territorial Statehouse

We finally had a good trip to a state park! Hooray! I can't tell you what a relief that is.

We went to the Territorial Statehouse in Fillmore. I think it was better for a few reasons. First, because we had a shorter drive (and a quieter one), and it was also gorgeous weather.

The State House was pretty cool in itself, too.  For those of you not familiar with it, Fillmore was going to be the capitol of Utah, so they started building the Statehouse here.  They only got one wing of it done, which is what you see here.  The thing was supposed to be huge!   But the capitol was moved to Salt Lake City, and this became Utah's first state park.
 

The kids always like going to museums, even though it usually stresses me out.
There were lots of pictures to look at, and even though the lady in charge was really grouchy, we still had fun looking at them.  We even found a relative or two!

In fact, we not only found some pictures of relatives, we even found the headstone of one!  I have to say, I wasn't expecting that one.  Not that he was buried there, of course.  He's buried in the Fillmore Cemetery, and he has a new headstone to replace this old one.  I guess they didn't want to get rid of the old one, so they put it here.
I think the kids' favorite part was this big upstairs room.  So nice when there's not a lot of furniture to clutter things up.  The state legislature met here once, and it has since been used as a ballroom, among other things.
  

And, of course, if there's dancing to be done you have to ditch the tennis shoes.
We had a picnic lunch, and a great day!
Thank goodness!


2 comments:

Kendra said...

cool. Museums stress me out too.

Josie said...

Looks like it was successful and fun. It almost makes me want to take my kids. Almost.