Monday, July 25, 2016

Palisades


Time again for Friday fun!  This week after I went to the temple, we went to Palisades.  We rented a canoe, and even though it rained a little while we were there, we still had lots of fun.

Ben was our super-rower.  The rest of us took turns with the other paddles, but Ben was always in the back doing the real work as we took laps around the lake.

I was pretty proud of myself that I helped row us clear to the other side, and Ben said we were keeping up a pretty good pace.  See?  I'm not too old and feeble yet.   I have to admit that my arms did feel a little rubbery by the time we got to the other side, so I decided to be nice and let Cannon have a turn rowing back. ;)

About half way across the lake on our way back, I started to hear a wailing noise.  As we got closer, I realized that wailing noise was coming from Lydia.  I was pretty sure her life wasn't in danger, but she did sound pretty seriously hurt.

As the shore got closer, I could pick her out, and realized that she
had quite a crowd around her.  Emily was there next to her, offering comfort, but there were lots of concerned citizens gathered around.

Sure that I was going to need to rush her to the hospital, I jumped out of the canoe as soon as I could to see just how severe her injuries were.

Turns out that she had stepped on a fish hook, which had stuck in one of her toes.  Now, before you start getting all worried, you should know that only the very tip of the hook went into her toe.  It didn't go in as far as the barb.  Emily pulled the hook out, and it left a tiny little hole in the bottom of Lydia's toe.  This was the reason for the loud wailing that could be heard half way across the lake.

We eventually got her calmed down and distracted, but the day was pretty much done for us.  The only person still interested in staying was Cannon.  He had found this old log floating in the lake, and made friends with the other boys playing on it.  He could have stayed all day, I think, but we pulled him, got everyone changed into dry clothes, and headed for home.

Everyone said they had fun, including Lydia, so I guess it was a win. 


0 comments: